Sunday, December 29, 2013

Whispering sweet nothings

          "I am waiting for the entrance of the female star. Did Mrs. Chavender come to you as you lay there?"
          "Yes. And when the door suddenly opened and there she was, did it nearly slay me!"
          "Whereupon - ?"
          "She said, 'Gosh, Jimmy, you look like a rainy Sunday in Pittsburgh!' And I said, 'I feel like a rainy Sunday in Pittsburgh.' And she said, 'Have you been eating something that disagreed with you?' And I said, 'And how!' And she said, 'Poor old slob, your stomach always weak, wasn't it? A king among men, but a pushover for the gastric juices, even in the old days.'"
          "These were the first words you had exchanged in fifteen years?"
          "Yes. Why?"
          "I had often wondered what lovers said to one another when they met again after long parting. Now I know."

(from Quick Service, by Sir Pelham Wodehouse)

No comments: